CHOCOLATE AND RAISINS ARE DANGEROUS TO DOGS!
On Friday night about eight, I sat on the bed with my laptop and a bag of dark chocolate Raisinettes with maybe a palmfull left. Our dog, Finn, wasn’t in the bedroom. I got up to remind my husband who was in his office that we had planned to spruce up the house on Saturday morning. After a minute or two of conversation, I returned to find Finn on the bed with the bag of Raisinettes. There were only a few left. He raised his eyes guiltily.
I freaked out. Chocolate is bad for dog and raisins worse. I knew our vet was closed. I called the ASPCA Poison Control and they answered promptly after getting my credit card number. We followed their advice–my husband drove to Walgreen’s to buy the three-percent hydrogen peroxide.
Finn took it and ALERT…it’s going to be gross….vomited and we counted the times (two) and the number of Raisinettes (seventy) and reported by to Poison Control. They advised us to take him to an emergency hospital immediately. He vomited again (twelve more)…
Off we went to the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital in the dark and we drove past it twice. Finn freaked out and barked at everyone in the hospital. The number of emergency patients grew and grew. We waited and waited in an area away from other patients since Finn’s barking didn’t help other pets and their owners.
We almost cried, too, when we saw a young couple come in with their big beautiful dog and they had to leave crying without their dog. We didn’t know what happened, but the dog seemed to be only a few years old. I saw staff run fast to the back and some hours later, they apologized for our wait and wore sad faces.
The TV on the wall showed the same NBC special over and over–about life in various American prisons. We ended up watching that nasty show for hours.
The doctor gave him sedatives. Finn received fluids. They took a blood test to make sure he wasn’t going into kidney failure. They injected him with something to counteract the sedative. He wasn’t happy, poor boy.
We drove away at daylight and were scheduled to go back in the afternoon.
Too tired to face Philadelphia traffic, we took Finn to the Mount Laurel Animal Emergency Hospital that afternoon. (Saturday!) He again received fluids and a blood test, but was calm at this hospital, no sedatives needed. We left Mount Laurel for Camden and couldn’t decide if we were more tired or more hungry. Since we couldn’t sleep in the car, we stopped at a McDonald’s drive-through.
Finn is scheduled for another blood test at six p.m. today at Mount Laurel to check his kidney levels. (I forget the right word–but they must make sure that the raisins didn’t affect his kidneys.) He’s exhausted and we’re exhausted, too. However, our boy was lucky to get excellent medical care, no matter how scary or awkward it was for him.
We hope that this test will be normal (the others were in the normal range, but they must test for a few days) and that this little nightmare will be over.
So, please, beware of chocolate and raisins if you have a dog. I feel guilty about my moment of carelessness and I’m thankful that he will be okay (hopefully, please, dear God) because we love him so much.
Marguerite Ferra, writing guiltily and tired from Cramer Hill