BEWARE—— Raisinettes can lead to canine emergency

Dear Readers,

CHOCOLATE AND RAISINS ARE DANGEROUS TO DOGS!

On Friday night about eight, I sat on the bed with my laptop and a bag of dark chocolate Raisinettes with maybe a palmfull left. Our dog, Finn, wasn’t in the bedroom.  I got up to remind my husband who was in his office that we had planned to spruce up the house on Saturday morning.  After a minute or two of conversation, I returned to find Finn on the bed with the bag of Raisinettes.  There were only a few left.  He raised his eyes guiltily.

I freaked out.  Chocolate is bad for dog and raisins worse.  I knew our vet was closed.  I called the ASPCA Poison Control and they answered promptly after getting my credit card number.  We followed their advice–my husband drove to Walgreen’s to buy the three-percent hydrogen peroxide.

Finn took it and  ALERT…it’s going to be gross….vomited and we counted the times (two) and the number of Raisinettes (seventy) and reported by to Poison Control.  They advised us to take him to an emergency hospital immediately.  He vomited again  (twelve more)…

Off we went to the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital in the dark and we drove past it twice.   Finn freaked out and barked at everyone in the hospital.  The number of emergency patients grew and grew.  We waited and waited in an area away from other patients since Finn’s barking didn’t help other pets and their owners.

We almost cried, too, when we saw a young couple come in with their big beautiful dog and they had to leave crying without their dog.  We didn’t know what happened, but the dog seemed to be only a few years old. I saw staff run fast to the back and some hours later, they apologized for our wait and wore sad faces.

The TV on the wall showed the same NBC special over and over–about life in various American prisons.  We ended up watching that nasty show for hours.

The doctor gave him sedatives.  Finn received fluids.  They took a blood test to make sure he wasn’t going into kidney failure. They injected him with something to counteract the sedative.  He wasn’t happy, poor boy.

We drove away at daylight and were scheduled to go back in the afternoon.

Too tired to face Philadelphia traffic, we took Finn to the Mount Laurel Animal Emergency Hospital that afternoon. (Saturday!) He again received fluids and a blood test, but was calm at this hospital, no sedatives needed.  We left Mount Laurel for Camden and couldn’t decide if we were more tired or more hungry. Since we couldn’t sleep in the car, we stopped at a McDonald’s drive-through.

Finn is scheduled for another blood test at six p.m. today at Mount Laurel to check his kidney levels.  (I forget the right word–but they must make sure that the raisins didn’t affect his kidneys.)  He’s exhausted and we’re exhausted, too.   However, our boy was lucky to get excellent medical care, no matter how scary or awkward it was for him.

We hope that this test will be normal (the others were in the normal range, but they must test for a few days) and that this little nightmare will be over.

So, please, beware of chocolate and raisins if you have a dog.  I feel guilty about my moment of carelessness and I’m thankful that he will be okay (hopefully, please, dear God) because we love him so much.

Marguerite Ferra, writing guiltily and tired from Cramer Hill

7 thoughts on “BEWARE—— Raisinettes can lead to canine emergency

  1. How wonderful that you knew that chocolate and raisins were toxic to dogs. I’m not sure I know what ‘s toxic to cats. In fact I think I’ll look I’ll look it up right now.
    Thank you for the warning…

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Another thing to be very careful about is pesticides. Even those that are advertized for use by humans may harm a dog or cat . A few years ago, I bought one of those mosquito repellants that were little fans to attach to a belt. A strip of some absorbent paper impregnated with a ” human safe” pesticide was placed into the fan contraption. Somehow, when I loaded the fan-thing, my cat was exposed to the pesticide. Within just afew hours, he was suffering acute renal failure. We went through many of the same things you are going through, including some sort to cat dialysis. It was so sad, but he pulled through. And talk about guilt! Anyway, after all of this, I am hyper-cautious about pesticides around my cat! I hope your Finn is doing much better. He’s probably tougher than most cats, after all, he’s in Camden!

    Like

    • Wow…you are right. There are so many things that are harmful to animals…especially pesticides. Well, we and our dog live in Camden, but probably not tough. He’s actually a spoiled baby. He was a feral puppy on the island of St. Martin in the Caribbean. We adopted him from a rescue group. However, our cats were rescued here in our neighborhood in Camden. THree more spoiled babies. I am glad that your cat pulled through. It is so hard to see a pet suffer. Thanks for your comment!

      Like

  3. What a terrible thing to go through! I will have to look around the house (plants?) to safeguard my cat when we are away. I was at the Phila Art Museum yesterday enjoying the exhibit and touring Waterworks. Little did I know you were having a crisis in the same city! Do you have pet insurance? You might have another rough day when you get the vet bills! Hang in there and. Hug Finn for me!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s